When to introduce the Nesting Box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilstarshine7, Sep 1, 2011.

1. lilstarshine7

lilstarshine7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Anacoco, La
    Hi, I have a br chick..she will be of egglaying age about november. My question is when do you introduce the nesting box...? Thanks.

2. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I have Buff Orps and I was going to wait till 20 weeks until I put in the nesting boxes. Well at 19 weeks I found a egg in the coop, so I waited to long before I put the nest boxes in. I put them in right away after finding the egg but they were slow to warm up to the nesting boxes. The first week none of the hens used the boxes, but now some are and some aren't. I would say its better to have them in a little early so they can warm up to the new nest boxes and when they start laying put a couple of the first eggs in a box to set the example.

Buffs only

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many chickens don't lay before 16 weeks, although most lay much later 20-24 weeks. You can add them at any time, but you should keep them covered and closed before 15 weeks, so that the chickens don't use them to sleep in. When they are roosting (and roosts should always be higher than nest boxes) you can open them up.

4. trainman638

trainman638 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    Buffs only- mine did the same thing! Surprised me at 19 weeks. They took to laying on the floor in the litter. I put the nest box in to no avail. Then I tried three golf balls in each box for one week. It works like a "how to" or in this case a "where to". I have not found one outside the box since! Good luck!

5. lilstarshine7

lilstarshine7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Anacoco, La
    Thank you. I will try that. I have a nesting box already in place, just wasnt sure if it was to soon to place it in the coop.

6. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    I was glad to see this post because I have a few 14 week Black Australorpes and I put 4 nesting boxes in last week. The just look at them or occasionally hop up onto the roost bars in front of them. Should I cover them up?

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Never too soon. You might have to clean them out if you find they are sleeping in them but if they have the proper roosts, they won't sleep in them for long!

8. h_palmer

h_palmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    I found an egg on the floor of the coup and that was when we put in the nesting box they were around 19wks, I put them both in the boxes (filled with straw) and they scratched around and hopped out... next morning two eggs in the box.

Regards
    Heather

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by