When to join chicks together?

mizzhoneybee

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2014
Greetings!

it's been awhile since I've posted here as I only hatch chicks every two years with my 2nd graders and then the following year with my 3rd graders.

We just hatched two little ones, for some reason the others are not coming along. Not sure why...
Sadly the other 2nd grade class was not having any luck at all! I had a third egg pip and so I transferred it to the other class' incubator (you probably won't agree with that move, but the poor children were sad not to see any babies!!) happily it hatched this morning and is doing great!

So now my question is this: when should I put the three chicks together so they can socialize and become acquainted? This year I plan to keep these babies and raise 'em up, so I want them to turn out nice. So is it better to socialize them now over the weekend and then separate them again between the two classes during the week, or is it better to wait a couple weeks when the year ends and I'm ready to take them all home for good?

If there's a way to get this question answered today I would be forever grateful, as I'm trying to plan what to do at the end of the day, keep em separated or put them together. Today is Friday 5/19.

Huge thanks and I look forward to being more present on here as I meander my first little, tiny flock!

Best,
Alicia

I would put all three chicks together now. That way, there is only one brooder, one set of feed/water containers. They are small enough that you could then move the brooder back and forth between class rooms. Alternate days, or beginning/end of week to be spent in each room. If that's not a likable plan, see if you can find a buddy for the loner.

oh that's a good idea too! I do think it would be better for them to be together... oh it's such a nerve wracking thing this chick mama business!

thank you!! I'll ask the other teacher what she thinks of that!

The one chick you moved to the other class...is it by itself?

I would not move them back in forth...you will probably cause them too much stress with all the moving.
Wait til you only have to make 1 move.

I would put all three chicks together now. That way, there is only one brooder, one set of feed/water containers. They are small enough that you could then move the brooder back and forth between class rooms. Alternate days, or beginning/end of week to be spent in each room. If that's not a likable plan, see if you can find a buddy for the loner.

ok thank you!!

yes it is all by itself :( that's why i thought it would be better to socialize it a bit here and there, but perhaps you're right to just do it all at once.

Back
Top Bottom