When to let hen n chicks out, enough space?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Ok, so I have a Silkie hen and 7 chicks in a sheltered coop/run area of about 3.5metres by 1.5m. Their area is fenced off within the main coop area. Chicks are 1.5 weeks old now, how much longer can I keep them in their little area?
If I let them out they will be with all my other (Silkie) chickens - which is fine because mother hen will protect them, but I'm worried about disease (like cocci) because I'm not with them all day to scoop poop as soon as its dropped!
So how long can they be restricted to their little area?
IMG20201125104801.jpg
IMG20201123104745.jpg
IMG20201123102903.jpg
IMG20201122133057.jpg

Ok, so I have a Silkie hen and 7 chicks in a sheltered coop/run area of about 3.5metres by 1.5m. Their area is fenced off within the main coop area. Chicks are 1.5 weeks old now, how much longer can I keep them in their little area?
If I let them out they will be with all my other (Silkie) chickens - which is fine because mother hen will protect them, but I'm worried about disease (like cocci) because I'm not with them all day to scoop poop as soon as its dropped!
So how long can they be restricted to their little area?
View attachment 2424462
View attachment 2424463
View attachment 2424464
View attachment 2424465
I don't intentionally restrict a broody hen and her chicks to a specific area. I allow and encourage the mother to take her brood out when she is ready. The door remains open to the maternity ward allowing her to leave and others to enter the day after hatch. When the mother left had a lot to do with brood size, her ranking in the flock prior to becoming broody and ambient temperatures.
I say open her enclosure and let her decide.
I've also never had a case of coccidiosis in broody hatched chicks. You can keep an eye on them and put out Corid water if they do get sick but you would likely have to confine the mother with her brood again if that happens.

If you have cocci in your flock the broody has it and has already exposed the chicks. To me that is a positive. The chicks are already working on immunity to cocci. If they stay in pretty dry conditions they should have that immunity within another couple of weeks or less.

To me that is a big advantage of broody hens, their chicks are exposed to whatever is in the flock so they can get started on flock immunities. The hen passes on some probiotics too. That strengthens their immune system. I can't think of a healthier way to start.

You can keep them restricted as long as you wish. Personally mine are hatched with the flock and raised with the flock.

I did have another coop with larger grassy area I had hen and chicks in last time but that's since been taken over by a cockerel and a couple pullets :lol: ..
So if that current space is fine to keep them in for another week or so I'll keep them restricted for now, there are too many dangers outside when they are so little! My fencing between other areas is the larger hole wire so chicks can easily escape and mother hen can't follow. I might have to upgrade some fencing before I let them out or they might visit the cockerel and pullets next door or sneak into my veggie garden! :lol:

I let mumma hen and chicks out of their coop area this arvo for a few hours, all went well :) The chicks go quite a distance from mumma hen at times which makes me nervous.
And it's strange, I thought chicks need constant warmth but mine hardly ever go under hen especially after a week old.
IMG20201202160944.jpg
IMG20201202155805.jpg
IMG20201202161111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom