when to let hens to a new home start to free range

metromack

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I just picked up 10 used chickens (clean with low miles) I have them in a coop and was wondering how long should I confine them there before I let them free range? Thanks

I would wait at least a week or two. Also when you feed them call them at the same time so they learn "chic chic chic" means food. Then when they are out free ranging you can call them and they will come.
Tink

I concur and would probably make it closer to the two week mark.

Teaching them to come when called now is a great help also.

I would suggest let them out late the first few times- so they go back to the roost before wandering too far- congrats on the new ladies

leave them locked in the henhouse 2 or 3 weeks.that way they learn the henhouse is home.an they learn to lay their eggs in the nests.let them out 2hrs before dark for a few days.that way youll know they go to roost.then you can let them out when you want.

Thanks ya'll....you made me feel soooo smart!!! I guess if you hang around here long enough you might learn something!!! You made my day!
tink

I have a large flock of freerangers. When I add chickens I put them in the coop at night when everybody is roosting the next day they come out with the rest of the girls, somebody takes them "under the wing" so to speak, and they roost with the rest that night. I have never lost one this way. But when we moved the whole group and the coop we left them put up 2 days before we let them out at the new place. They stayed very close to the coop the first week or two and then ventured out futher.

Congrats on the new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom