When to let new pullet roost at night with older hen

LisaRN

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2016
Clovis, CA
I have one 4 year old barred rock, and have newly introduced a 15 week old black sex link pullet. At what point should I let them sleep together at night on the roost? I currently am having the new pullet sleep in her own enclosure within the coop.

I have one 4 year old barred rock, and have newly introduced a 15 week old black sex link pullet. At what point should I let them sleep together at night on the roost? I currently am having the new pullet sleep in her own enclosure within the coop.
So, you only have two birds in total?
Your 4 year old BR has been a Spinster for how long now?
Please send a picture of each for size comparison.
A picture of the roost is also helpful.

So, you only have two birds in total?
Your 4 year old BR has been a Spinster for how long now?
Please send a picture of each for size comparison.
A picture of the roost is also helpful.

Sadly we lost two of our other chickens, so our barred rock was on her own for a about 3 months. The pullet is fairly large, but the barred rock is not fully accepting of her yet. They free range the back yard almost all day, we have an enclosed 10x 5 run with a large dog houset that has a 2x4 roost running the length of the inside. I know it is not a perfect set up, but it worked well for us in the past.
20200801_105846.jpg

20200705_125000.jpg

Yes, thats sad.
Nothing is perfect and it works for you, so thats good.
Give her time. Hand feed them together. Watch so the babe doesnt get beat up.
When they are in the enclosure together have secret hideouts for the lil one for when she is chased. You can put the lil one on the roost at night after Big Mama is in for the night.
You can try it and check on her in the early morning.
Fingers are crossed.

Yes, thats sad.
Nothing is perfect and it works for you, so thats good.
Give her time. Hand feed them together. Watch so the babe doesnt get beat up.
When they are in the enclosure together have secret hideouts for the lil one for when she is chased. You can put the lil one on the roost at night after Big Mama is in for the night.
You can try it and check on her in the early morning.
Fingers are crossed.

Thank you :)

Really I would just let her decide. Stop locking her up in the container, leave the container in there. She may choose it, or she may choose the roost.

Mrs K

That's a good idea, thanks! She might just find another place to sleep in the run, but hopefully she will roost with the other one eventually. It is HOT here right now, so she would be comfortable sleeping in the run temperature wise

Quote Reply

Really I would just let her decide. Stop locking her up in the container, leave the container in there. She may choose it, or she may choose the roost.

Mrs K

This.

I integrate juveniles all the time. Never one on one like you so that's a bit different. But as long as my juveniles do not sleep in my nests and sleep somewhere predator-safe, I don't care where they sleep. When they are all ready, the juvenile and the older ones, they will move to the roosts.

As long as they get along during the day I would let them settle it themselves at night. The older birds decide when the juveniles are "allowed" to roost with them. If your older hen won't let the pullet up on the roost don't sweat it, that is perfectly normal and will work itself out in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom