when to let your chickens outside and when to take the heat lamp off of the chicks

newchickenroost

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
at what age do you take the heat lamps off the chicks and take them outside for the first time, i am new to the chicken business so all comments are appreciated

I am wondering the same sort of thing, though I am going to use the Brinsea brooder, do I still need to have a light of some sort so they can see to get food and water 24/7? And my chicks will be coming in June, it will be hot oustside, so can I put them in the coop at about 4 weeks and have the brooder in there if they want it?

images

Welcome to BYC!

You will need to leave them under heat for about 5 or 6 weeks, or until fully feathered. Keep lowering your heat by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Heat needs to be available 24/7 for chicks. They are started at 90 to 95 degrees, again lowered each week by 5 degrees.

You can however take them outside for field trips for fun and to help break up boredom in the brooder. Make sure it is at least 55 degrees and no strong winds. Start with 10 or 15 mins so they don't stress too much and you can add more mins each day as the weeks go on. I like to start this at 2 weeks of age. You can get them into the coop as well so they are comfortable going in there when you take them out for good.

Stop by this article in our learning center about raising your new brood...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I also included the link to the entire learning center as there are lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock.

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Oh, and ALWAYS supervise chicks outside and never leave them unattended. They are hawk bait for sure and get lost easily. :)

at what age do you take the heat lamps off the chicks and take them outside for the first time, i am new to the chicken business so all comments are appreciated

You start your chickens out in a brooder (area) with the heat lamp on them. Put a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder and adjust the heat lamp closer or further away until the temperature is around a 100 degrees. Each week you lower the temperature 5 degrees. When your brooder temperature matches the outside temperature you can move them outside. The chicks should be almost fully featured as well.

How does all this change with the brinsea brooder, you never turn the heat down. Do I need to keep a light shining in the room where they will be for the sake of light, not warmth. If it is going to be in the 90's during the day and 70's at night, can I put them in a sectioned off place in the coop before 6 weeks with the warmer right there with them?

Quote: 100 degrees is way to warm to start babies. Somewhere between 90 and 95 is best. Too warm of temps and they can get pasty butt.

The only time 100 degrees is used is for sick or babies hatched with an unabsorbed yolk sac. :)

How does all this change with the brinsea brooder, you never turn the heat down. Do I need to keep a light shining in the room where they will be for the sake of light, not warmth. If it is going to be in the 90's during the day and 70's at night, can I put them in a sectioned off place in the coop before 6 weeks with the warmer right there with them?
I have never used these types of brooders. However if it is going to be 90's during the day, you would not need to keep the light on. For 70's at night, yes you would still want to leave it on for heat, not necessarily for light.

If you are experiencing these types of temps, you can probably brood these babies out side in the coop, especially if they are 2 or 3 weeks old. As long as the temps are not falling below 70, your brooder light should keep them warm as long as they can all get under it at the same time, depending on the wattage of your brooder and size.

Some of the people on the old folks home thread swear by lower brooding temps. Im dont recall the exact temps tho. I used a 250watt infrared light but never had a thermometer. If the chicks huddled together i lowered the light a little closer. If they were avoiding the warm spot, i moved the light farther away. Also i put their feed and water away from the light so they have to work their muscles and acclimate to the temp differences. I have no idea what a brinsea brooder is tho. I used a big storage bin from lowes

Back
Top Bottom