When to lock down

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Urban Chaos, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    In a prior post (see below) I asked if it was possible that my eggs started developing during shipping because when candling on day 10 they looked more like day 12/13 of development. So, if I go by the date I started them (7/9), they would go on lock down on 7/28. BUT if I go by how developed they appeared, lock down would be on 7/26. S0, what do I do??

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=543319

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea. I'll bump. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I am not very experienced at this yet, but if it were me, I think I would go with the earlier date. I think erring on the side of earlier would be better than later.

If someone wiser than I should correct me on this, I will not be offended. [​IMG]

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it won't hurt to go into lockdown a day or two early.. just remember to keep track of both dates in case the hatch runs longer or shorter than expected.. it's helpful to know when they were set and the expected hatch dates in case there is a problem later on

5. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I have the same thing going on, and have decided to lockdown a couple of days early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by