When to make the humane decision?

Norman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Ontario
I've read a couple posts here and there under this section, and have a question for everyone/anyone who would like to answer. Is how much agony does your pet have to be before you make the decision to put the animal out of its misery??? Im sorry, but I believe when medically there is no hope and the animal is suffering letting nature take its course is cruel and neglectful...and down right selfish. Yes, it is hard to say goodbye and accept the reality of the situation, but come on ppl! Us humans with our higher intelligance, compassion, and understanding have to make that hard decision, enabling the pain (IMHO) is just as abusive as causing the pain (when there is no positive prognosis). I may get flamed, but I could never sit by and prolong an animals suffering. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. My heart goes out to anyone who has had to watch their beloved pet fade away, but please next time try not to let judgement become too clouded by emotion and think less about how you feel and more of what the animal is feeling.

I believe you need to do what you need to do. I agree with the suffering aspect. I also believe that if this is a pet or animal you have had a long time, and you decide to put the animal out of its misery, then you have just made a most difficult decision and who am I to second guess that. You are the one who will have to live with it and we can be our own worst tormentors.
One of the dogs we had got shot...bad, no hope. I went with my husband when we put him down. I really loved that dog. With hugs and holding, and crying out of the way, My husband did the deed. When I saw what it did to my husband (big manly man) I told him that he would never have to kill another pet. So we have been petless for years. Now the chickens...........
So you do what you need to do and try not to feel bad about it, dont prolong its misery. And dont let anyone make you feel any worse than you do already.

Back
Top Bottom