When to move a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by colbye12, May 7, 2011.

1. colbye12

colbye12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Well I have this broody 2ish year old RIR hen. We have 3 other hens and 1 rooster who can come in and out of the coop as they please.Should and when should a move her and her eggs....She has like 5 eggs from what I can see underher. [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I moved mine into a crate within the coop after a week only because the other hens were leaving her eggs every day. I do not have a roo but it was a nuisance collecting them , and if you do have a roo the hatch will be too staggered for her to finish all the hatching successfully. If no one goes into her nest I would leave her [​IMG]

Once momma hatched all of them I began leaving her door open and she brings them out every day with all her coopmates. So fun to watch [​IMG]

3. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I moved my broody and her eggs after she had been sitting about 2 weeks. All went well. Good luck with your hatch.

Terri

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ideally, before you give her eggs. When she starts collecting eggs, set them on your kitchen counter and move her to her pen, with whatever she has been suing for nesting material and the nestbox itself, if possible. Wait a couple of days to be sure she means business. Then give her the eggs you want hatched.

Sometimes moving them breaks the broodiness, is the reason. I've had it happen.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by