When to move a Roo on to a new home - Now with Pix of chick in ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickychicks, Jul 2, 2010.

1. chickychicks

chickychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Hi all,
    One of my girls is most definitely a boy (BR). He is just over 4 weeks old (shipped from MPC on June 1st). I can't have roo's. When is the best time to advertise him and rehome him? I am thinking Craiglist and some local urban chicken boards. Should I wait for him to get older or is sooner better? Thanks!

Here are some pix I just took of CiCi/Cecil --the chick in question....although looking pretty boyish [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Well I would say the sooner the better so that you don't get attached. But are you sure that it is a roo? 4 weeks is still young. I have a girl that I swore was a boy until she got older.

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    The sooner you rehome him, the likelier it will be that he will be a pet, and not dinner...

4. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Teach him not to crow and he can stay.....lol [​IMG]
    I agree that the sooner, the more likely he will be a pet than dinner.

But I tell myself that if I raides him welll, he is one dinner that didn't come from a chicken factory and suffer terribly. We are in difficult paradox here. When we raise them we can't eat them. As a matter of fact we can't even order chicken at a restaurant now. WE have turned vegan![​IMG]

We are not supposed to have roos here in the city, but we do keep one, with our neighbors consent. My husband keeps him in the birdhouse while he is crowing a couple of times a day. So far so good. The little breeds might not have such a big crow. I would have to compare them side by side.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  5. chickychicks

chickychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Denver, CO
    He is super friendly with us, so it would be great if he could be some sort of country back yard pet. I am trying to unattach myself from him.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I would say sooner is better...mine is now 11 weeks and the thought of having to rehome him just breaks my heart....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by