When to move chicks out

So now that we survived Friday and Saturday (our brand new central heat went out), we are supposed to have 70's for the next few days! You might even be able to let the brooder chicks outside to scratch around for a few minutes.
Do y'all have a thermometer in the coop? I checked mine Friday and it was 42 in the coop and 36 on the back porch. Didn't expect that, but happy about it.
Nope, we don't. I want to get one though. It def felt warmer IN the coop than outside. They did and are doing amazing out there. Other than wasting some feed....need a different bucket I guess. That stinks about the central heat. At least you don't really need it this week!

We are letting the chicks out a little bit tomorrow but we have loggers for timber buyers coming out to clear some of our land. This batch is much more active it seems than our others. Roosting on their water containers, flying more, noisier lol.

There's really nothing wrong with the bucket. They are standing on the pads and can still scratch out the feed. Set the bucket on a couple bricks, side by side, so they have to stand at ground level. People have said the lip of the feeder needs to be about shoulder height so they can't scratch it out with their feet. They still may shovel some out with their beaks, but not as much.

Back
Top Bottom