When to move chicks outdoors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vtara16, May 31, 2010.

1. vtara16

vtara16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    North Hampton
    I have three 6-7 week old chicks and a 1 year old hen.

The hen is obviously already outside in her coop, but when should I move my chicks out with her? (I have been letting the chicks & hen mingle under my watch of course).

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually don't mix juvies with adults until they are 16 weeks of age..

BUT.. I never keep little ones in the house after a week. They STINK!

Good luck!

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    The younger ones are old enough to go outside but not old enough to integrate with the older hen. I currently have my run temporarily divided in half. The one year old hens are in one half and the 6 - 9 week old chicks are in the other side. I don't plan to integrate them until the chicks are about 18 weeks old (mid-August).

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The older hen is going to establish pecking order. It is something they do. Just be sure you add them to the coop when she is sleeping and introduce a lot of good treats like watermelon and stuff they all like and have lots of hiding places. They will give chase during the process of establishing the pecking order and whose who - sort of like that movie Mean Girls. Your older hen will be like - Oh Hey...were you like here yesterday? Oh check it out....treats! She may peck at them and as they grow that pecking order might/will change.

Good Luck
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by