When to move chicks outside

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I am almost finished with my coop and I want to know when I can move my ladies outside. They're starting to stink up my room! haha. Plus with my setup, food and water will be almost no maintenance. I'm in Seattle and right now it's in the mid 40s during the day. Don't know about the nights.

I move my chicks outside when they are Fully feathered out around 4-5 weeks. On the nights it gets below 40 or so I turn on a heat lamp on in there grow out pen and I haven't ever lost a chick from the cold! How many chicks do you have? Age? Also what breed?

Nate

Now i'm a first time chicken raiser, but my method is a follows: Take them outside, see how long until they get cold. Right now, in Indianapolis, it's in the 50's and high 30's at night, with occasional snow. The 3 week olds can stay out for about 1hr before they start huddling together, puffing their feathers, and peeping like the dickens. Your chicks are pretty reliable thermometers. But take my newbie advice with a grain.

Yep, their reaction is your best guide. If your girls are more than 6 weeks old then I'm sure they're fine. Any younger than that, just watch their reactions; 40's and lower is still pretty cold if they've been living inside and it might be a bit of a shock even if they're fully feathered. If they're not fully feathered you might want to wait a little longer.
All that said, I kicked my kids out when a couple of them were still less than 5 weeks, but they had a fluffy big sister to sleep with, so I wasn't too worried about them.

I'm north of you and I put one batch out 10 days ago. Next batch will go out tomorrow. As long as they can get out of the wind and rain... and they are feathered out they should be fine.

Your birds are the best indicator.
I just put my latest meaties out in their "special" coop last night at 15 days old. They did fine.
I put our flock of 6 out at 3 weeks with a heat source by thier roost a few weeks ago.
I will put 3 more at about 3 weeks with a heat source by thier roost next week.

I do NOT recommend this for just about anyone other than those who live in very warm climates. To date I have never lost a chicken between the brooder and going into the coop. BUT and this is a big BUT.....I am in Phoenix Az. It is currently getting down into the 60's at night so the cold isn't the same issue as with most raising their little chicks.

ok cool, they're like 5 or 6 wks now. all look like they could take it in terms of feathering. however, my buff orpington is still half the others' size and looks like a chick still. I haven't finished the coop yet. Between school and whatever else comes up, it should be finished in 2-3 weeks, so by then they'll definitely be able to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom