When to move chicks to run and coup?

ChucknWanda

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Emory, Texas
We have 19 three week old chicks. The weather is getting warmer here in Texas. The chicks seem awefully crowded in the 2'-4' brooder. Im thinking of moving them to the run and coup. Your advice? I put hay on the floor of the run and coup. Is that a good idea? It seems like an awefully fluffy cloud that would be hard for the chicks to get around on. We are newbees and just want to make sure this is the right move.

That brooder is too small for that number of chicks. You'll need something at least twice as big for them. You could move them outside if it is warm enough for them, or, if possible put a heat lamp in the coop to keep them warm. The recommended temperature for chicks this age is around 75-80*F, but that's just a guide. The chicks' behaviour will tell you if they are too hot/cold or comfortable. If they are spread out comfortably they are fine, if they are huddled together and dog piling they are too cold, if they are panting, they are too hot.

I am in Texas too (South Central) and it is warm enough for the three week old chicks to be moved to the coop, I see Emory is East of Dallas so the temps should be fine for you new chicks. I agree with Sumi, your brooder is too small for 19 chicks so go ahead and move them since you already have their home ready.
I have 20 chicks that will be 4 weeks old this coming Tuesday, I have them in two dog pens that are 4 x 4 each and have 10 chicks in each of them. Right now they have plenty of space to run around. I am waiting for my new coop to be finished so I can move them as soon as it happens, hopefully by the end of next week.
I used to have hay in my coop and run when I got my first flock last year and they seemed to do fine. I changed to river sand since then because I prefer to scoop the poop everyday from both (coop and run) this way I keep it clean and it is easy to maintain. My run has a roof so when it rains I only get some moisture in the sand by the edge of the run.
Good luck with your new babies, and please move them out as soon as you can, there are problems that can develope when they are overcrowded like feather pulling, pecking and lots of fights.

But how about the nights? Where I live live day temperature is 75 and night is 55. Is it okay? Now they live in their brooder and it is always 75, and the are just fine. By the way my chickens are three weeks old too.

55 degrees is still cold for three week old chicks, they are not quite fully feathered so if there is a way you could put a heat lamp in the coop they will gather around it to keep warm just as they did in the brooder. Three more weeks they will have most of their feathers and can take lower temps.

I moved them to therun and coup the day i first posted. I move the heat lamp out there too. Now im seeing that they avoid the heat lamp because its too hot for it. I unplugged the heat lamp just now. Forecast lows at night are the mid seventies so at four weeks old they should be ok. Its a lot of fun watching them enjoy this new space. Now they are in a 4' by 8' run attached to a 5' by 5' coup with lots or roost space. I plan to free range them during the day when they are much bigger. I think the run and coup will getcrowded when they are full grown. We shoulnt have gotten so many chicks probably. Yaulls thoughts.....

Chicks are fine without heat as long as they are fully feathered. until then, go get a thermostat that you can lug your heat lamp in to. Set it to turn on at aroun 70F, and off at about 85F. Each day, you can adjust it down a degree or two. Your current setup is too small for chicks of that age, and they should be moved into something larger ASAP. Cramped quarters for chicks tend to bring on pecking issues and possible injury to the chicks.
I put day old chicks in the outside brooder as soon as they are dry. The brooder coop is an elevated 3X4 coop in a 24 X 8 covered pen. When the daytime temps are above 50F, and they are about 2-3 weeks old, I let them out during the day. When thay are 4 weeks old, I leave the coop door open, unless it gets cold or is raining heavily.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom