When to move ducks outside?

Sarayes

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
Hi. I have 6 eggs incubating at the minute and I’m hoping at least a couple will survive. Last time I hatched ducks only 1 survived and we ended up keeping him indoors as a house pet so I have no experience with moving ducks outside.

I have a brooder ready for these ducklings (they hatch next week) that I’ll keep in the house and then I plan to move them into a section of a brick shed that I have cornered off (they’ll either range freely during the day or I might build them a run, not 100% sure atm).

Just wondering at what age they should be moved outside? It’s freezing cold here in Ireland at the minute and we’re told not to expect much of a summer. I’m worried about them getting too cold at night. I’ll use straw bedding and I can run the heat lamps outside if necessary but I’d really rather not do that. I imagine water fowl should naturally adapt to the wet and cold, but I want to make sure they can nest comfortably. Once their big boy feathers come in, will they be okay to move out?

Once fully feathered and slowly acclimated to the outdoor temps they will be fine They have down under their feathers as insulation against the cold and rain. Your going to be giving them a house so if they chose to get out of the weather they can?
To get mine acclimated I take them out 2-3 times a day for short times so they get use to the outside temps. If warm enough I take them as young as one week if cold they are closer to 2 weeks before we take our first trip outside.
:welcome

Last edited:
Once fully feathered and slowly acclimated to the outdoor temps they will be fine They have down under their feathers as insulation against the cold and rain. Your going to be giving them a house so if they chose to get out of the weather they can?
To get mine acclimated I take them out 2-3 times a day for short times so they get us to the outside temps. If warm enough I take them as young as one week if cold they are closer to 2 weeks before we take our first trip outside.
:welcome
Yes, if they’re free ranging I will keep their house open so they can go in and out, but if I decide to keep them in a run I’ll provide a coop of some sort.

Okay brilliant! Thanks so much :)

Back
Top Bottom