When to move eggs from hen to incubator?

I'm only guessing here, but maybe it took longer than the 'few hours' for the internals of the eggs to reach incubation temp under your broody.
Your hen will know when it's time to get off the eggs and care for the babies. I'd let her manage the egg department, she's been doing great so far.... 🙂

I'm only guessing here, but maybe it took longer than the 'few hours' for the internals of the eggs to reach incubation temp under your broody.
Your hen will know when it's time to get off the eggs and care for the babies. I'd let her manage the egg department, she's been doing great so far.... 🙂
Hey, yeah, I suspect you’re right, wow, that was a surprise! I will sneak the other three undern her tonight, I’ve had them in nesting box material from her own box today so they will smell like her, and under a very low set heat roof (they were bought from someone who used a lamp). Fingers crossed!

Hey, yeah, I suspect you’re right, wow, that was a surprise! I will sneak the other three undern her tonight, I’ve had them in nesting box material from her own box today so they will smell like her, and under a very low set heat roof (they were bought from someone who used a lamp). Fingers crossed!
As an afterthought and I'm by no means an expert. Just a lot of research recently.
Letting your shipped eggs rest for 1-2 days before setting is a very common recommendation.
Maybe this had an effect also by immediately putting under your broody. They needed time to settle?

Something else to consider. 🙂

As an afterthought and I'm by no means an expert. Just a lot of research recently.
Letting your shipped eggs rest for 1-2 days before setting is a very common recommendation.
Maybe this had an effect also by immediately putting under your broody. They needed time to settle?

Something else to consider. 🙂
Hi, thank you, yes, I was aware of this and they had been settled for 24 hrs at the post office when I picked them up (they know what to do when eggs arrive in my name) but I am sure this also was part of it. Interesting though, how many things factor in. It was cold outside, only a few above, and that of course also played a part. So excited to see what hatches tonight, really hpoing for the Isbars!

Hi, thank you, yes, I was aware of this and they had been settled for 24 hrs at the post office when I picked them up (they know what to do when eggs arrive in my name) but I am sure this also was part of it. Interesting though, how many things factor in. It was cold outside, only a few above, and that of course also played a part. So excited to see what hatches tonight, really hpoing for the Isbars!
Yes quite a few things do factor in I'm finding out also. My first Bator hatch was a fail. (Temp was way low). My second going on now seems to be right on at 11 days in so I'm still crossing fingers and toes impatiently waiting for the babies. I've had 2 broodys tho in the past so far, so got to learn and enjoy that adventure... 🙂
Wishing you much luck and looking forward to seeing your littles as they hatch.... ♥️

Yes quite a few things do factor in I'm finding out also. My first Bator hatch was a fail. (Temp was way low). My second going on now seems to be right on at 11 days in so I'm still crossing fingers and toes impatiently waiting for the babies. I've had 2 broodys tho in the past so far, so got to learn and enjoy that adventure... 🙂
Wishing you much luck and looking forward to seeing your littles as they hatch.... ♥️
Crossing fingers! I’ll update w pics tomorrow if possible.

Back
Top Bottom