When to move mom and babies lower down

Oct 14, 2021
Hi All,

I need some advice. Sunday the firat of 7 eggs hatched. Three more hatched Monday (yesterday). None hatched today. I got the eggs from my friend, so i dont know exactly when they were laid. She told me they were a day old. I assumed they were all the same.

Moms nesting box is up high. Ive got her food and water. I spent last night preparing a lower place for them to be. I sent pictures of the set up for Mom. She was super hungry. She ate and drank quite a bit.

How long do i wait to move her and the babies?

Should i move the unhatched eggs with her?

How long do I wait on the eggs to hatch? I am not sure if they were l laid on the same date.

I appreciate your help so much!

Attachments

• 20230710_190914.jpg
    20230710_190914.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230710_190728.jpg
    20230710_190728.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 13
You should move the food and water down to the floor away from the hen. She will get up when she feels all the eggs have hatched, roughly 2-3 days after the first chick hatched, and she will call them down to eat and drink. It doesn't matter when the eggs were laid, just as long as they were all set under your hen at the same time. Do not disturb her or attempt to move her in the middle of the hatch

If she doesn't bring them down tomorrow, candle the eggs (cell phone flashlight after dark) and look for signs of life. If the eggs are no longer viable remove the eggs from the nest and move mom and babies to the floor. Did all the eggs she is sitting on get put there at the same time?

If she doesn't bring them down tomorrow, candle the eggs (cell phone flashlight after dark) and look for signs of life. If the eggs are no longer viable remove the eggs from the nest and move mom and babies to the floor. Did all the eggs she is sitting on get put there at the same time?
Yes. They were all set at the same time.

I'm guessing the first egg hatched on day 20 (Sunday) and the others on day 21 (Monday). That means today was day 22. I DO disturb the nest to candle any eggs that have not hatched by day 22. Almost always, the remaining unhatched eggs were dead. If I were in your situation; I would candle the unhatched eggs tonight. If any are viable, place the egg(s) back under the broody. If no more eggs are alive, move mom and her chicks tonight. The first chick will have hatched 3 days ago by tomorrow morn, and needs to eat and drink. The ones that hatched 2 days ago will be hungry too. If any eggs are viable after you candle tonight, return here for further advice.

I'm guessing the first egg hatched on day 20 (Sunday) and the others on day 21 (Monday). That means today was day 22. I DO disturb the nest to candle any eggs that have not hatched by day 22. Almost always, the remaining unhatched eggs were dead. If I were in your situation; I would candle the unhatched eggs tonight. If any are viable, place the egg(s) back under the broody. If no more eggs are alive, move mom and her chicks tonight. The first chick will have hatched 3 days ago by tomorrow morn, and needs to eat and drink. The ones that hatched 2 days ago will be hungry too. If any eggs are viable after you candle tonight, return here for further advice.
Thank you SO MUCH. I couldn't sleep. I went out and candled the remaining eggs. There are no signs of life. I moved mom and the 4 babies to the dog house with food and water. From here... its up to mama! I really appreciate you helping.

Thank you SO MUCH. I couldn't sleep. I went out and candled the remaining eggs. There are no signs of life. I moved mom and the 4 babies to the dog house with food and water. From here... its up to mama! I really appreciate you helping.
An update... Yesterday mom and babies are doing great! They're out and exploring
Screenshot_20230712_123608_Messenger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom