When to move them outside when you have 2 age groups?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Hiya!

They grow up so fast, don't they?

So my older chicks are 4 weeks old and the babies are a week today. I took them all outside yesterday, and of course they had a blast. The thing is, the older ones are completely able to get out of our baby pool brooder when they want at this point, besides which it is getting kind of small for all of them. It's getting warm here as well. the older ones seem totally ready to live outside during the day. The babies- well, they are babies.

The chickens seem to like each other's company so much that I don't want to break up the band and put 2 outside every day, but not the others. Besides which, my bigger BR is really really hard to catch to bring back inside.

What to do?

I was thinking about trying to set up my heat lamp outside in their coop. - this would be for night time- I figure maybe move the all outside full time once the big ones are ready, but keep a lamp in there for the little ones.

It does get cold at night around here, even in summer.

Hmmmm. options? Any advice in catching chickens to bring them in for the night?

Couple more questions-
1. Do you lock them in the coop at night? I don't have a totally secure run, so if I leave the door open, anything cold get at them.

2. What is a good bedding for adult chickens?

From my recent experience, I would strongly suggest not to break up the good thing you have going!! Keep them together and move them all at once. I kept my younger ones inside and moved the older ones out and then I had to deal with re-introducing them. Not great. Keep a heat lamp in the coop, then they can all use it if they need to. Pine shavings are great for bedding. And unless you have a secure run, I'd lock them in for safety's sake. Good luck!

Quote:
Yeah, I was so proud of myself for getting them to all get along! I put the new little babies in the bog brooder right next to the big ones' little brooder. I made it so the big ones could hear and take a few peeks at the babies. Then after 2 hours or so, I plopped the big ones in with the babies. There was almost no drama at all. I think the chicks were a bit weirded out for a few days, in general, but it was only after they all calmed down that I realized it.

Oh, I also get the sense that the big chickens don't take the little babies seriously as threats- since they are tiny. My dominant Lucy still mainly picks at Sara- the other older bird. They mostly ignore or indulge the babies. (lucy ignores, sara indulges.)

Mine were getting along great in the brooder, too. Then I moved them. It's not that bad, really, but if I would have known, I would have moved them all at once.

No, they don't take them as threats, just as PITAs, LOL.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have heard that cedar is bad for chickens, so don't use that. I use pine shavings they seem to work well. Dont use pine chips though.

Back
Top Bottom