When to move to brooder

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
When do you move a hatched chick to the brooder?
We had one hatch this a.m. should we move him out of hatcher and into brooder?

We had one hatch this afternoon, should we move him now into brooder?
Both still in hatcher, was afraid to move until I got some sort of go ahead, LOL!

Thank you,
Angela

p.s.
And can I put a couple extra chicks in with them to help keep them warm ? (the brooder that is, we have a couple little partridge cochin bantams that are 5-7 days old, still small) would that help with heat wise and them feeling snugglie?

Last edited:
When do you move a hatched chick to the brooder?

I normally wait 24 hours from the first one hatching or until they are all dry & fluffy whichever occurs first. The exception to this was last weekend with my long drawn out hatch that went askew when I had the first chick to hatch rolling the eggs around. It is the only time I have moved them that early though.

We had one hatch this a.m. should we move him out of hatcher and into brooder?

We had one hatch this afternoon, should we move him now into brooder?

Try to wait until the hatch is complete. If the hatch is long & drawn out, then wait until the hatched ones are dry before moving them.

And can I put a couple extra chicks in with them to help keep them warm ? (the brooder that is, we have a couple little partridge cochin bantams that are 5-7 days old, still small) would that help with heat wise and them feeling snugglie?

These are std size chicks hatching now? If yes, it'll probably be OK to put them together. Really, one chick just needs at least one other chick but the more the merrier. So do whatever works for you. However, do watch them closely at first.​

The ones who hatched were frizzles bantams and we have some bantam cochinc already born maybe 1 week old? still fuzzy themselves, barely the tips of their wings coming in.

Waiting on 3 silkie eggs to hatch, one is pipped but not done by long shot, it may be out in the a.m.
temp 100 humidity is 70 in there will that be ok?
Thanks,
Angela

Yep. 70% is fine, perfect. I have a hatch starting tonite. I set them 21 days ago at midnight and one had already pipped at about 10:00 p.m. so 2 hours ahead of set time. Our chicks will share a birthday!

It is probably OK to put th Bantam chicks together, just watch them. I have std size from last week and I am thinking of joining them to these. I have a clutch that are 2 weeks old and they have really grown fast & I am not going to mix them.

our red silkie has zipped all the way around and is trying to get the lid off!
YAYYYY
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom