9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
PA
Opinions please!!

Day 19....pips
Day 20....15 full hatches
Beginning of day 21 (9 minutes in, lol)...can see 7 more pips
So, my question is...

When can I open the lid!!!!??? There are 52 eggs in there and I don't want to compromise the others that haven't pipped yet. All looked viable at lockdown. It will be 24 hours from the first hatch at around 7 this morning. Wait another 24? 36? The Cute little boogers have stopped playing soccer with their "shelled" siblings and have moved on to bowling! Maybe I should have started with less eggs....cause this "look but don't touch" thing is making me nuts!!!!
barnie.gif

Chicks are ok for up to 72 hours after hatch. They still have a lot of the yolk in them and that provides nutrition. So. Leave them alone. And I feel your pain. I HATE watching them struggle over all the eggs and shells!!!!

LOL!!! Congrats....this is why its always good...even with the styrofoamies to have a seperate one EMPTY (so hard not to fill them)
tongue.png
where you can quickly gather up (have ya a basket handy) and move all those little soccer player into your "hatcher/dryer" in one smooth move.
wink.png

Personally my motto is if the last one is still wet let it be, but if you see dry ones panting...GET THEM OUT. As a rule of thumb mine stay on lockdown for 24 hours but I have had no issues opening real quick when need be. Just plan to go fast.
Sit back and enjoy the view, count your chickens
wink.png
and relax, mother nature is a pretty smart gal!
smile.png

PS Ive found that the warm eggs help keep them warm so not a biggie nor are the shells, BUT if you have TOO MANY eggs in there with no real space and they are on top of them and you are using a styrofoamie they CAN and WILL burn their heads on the element....just an FYI.

Thanks!!! It's so hard not to flip the lid and snatch up all those fluffy butts! I'm sitting on my hands, but my eyeballs are stuck to the bator window, lol!!

Back
Top Bottom