when to open the nest box?

stevin

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
my RIR pullets are just over 5 months old & my Lt Sussex are 3 1/2 months old sharing the same coop. i've noticed that the RIR's faces are pinkish, definitely not red.
should i wait till i find the 1st egg somewhere on the coop floor before opening the nest box? the nest box is roughly 6-8" above the floor and the roosts are at 3' & 4'.
every pullet sleeps up on the roosts for the past month or so.
if i remove the plywood blocking off the nest box will i be creating an opportunity for them to start sleeping & pooping in there?
or since they have been faithfully sleeping on the roosts is it safe to open it up now?

Keep the nest boxes lower than their roost spot and they won't sleep in it. I put my boxes in way too early and they just ignored them until they started to mature. I would go ahead and set them up. When they need it they'll seek them out.

My boxes are lower than my roosts & my pullets are not interested in the boxes yet - they are definitely closer to laying. I placed 2 white golf balls in the boxes to show them what they are for.

60407_9-6-2010_016.jpg

I'm running a variety of chicken ages in the chicken house and recently inserted some new nesting boxes since I knew that within the next couple of months that I would have more hens laying than I had the correct number of boxes in comparison with the number of potenital laying hens. Yes, keep your nesting boxes lower than the roosts and you should not have a problem. We got our very first Easter Egger greenish-tinted egg a couple of days ago and it was laid in one of the new boxes, top row, middle bucket, beside a white golf ball! Bruce

Last edited:
awesome! looks like i'll be removing the plywood blocking the nest box this weekend!
thanx for the golfball tip! i'll place a couple in mine, the wife works at titleist and maybe she can get me a couple of rejects
maybe they'll have some shaped like eggs
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom