When to process Dark Cornish

Quote:
Now you are getting it Buster.

lol.png

We are trying Dark Cornish this summer for the first time. Our chicks arrived on April 13th and we plan to butcher this Saturday. They have been fed Flock Raiser and free range all day. I have high hopes for the meat on these birds...they look great!

I understand it wouild be hard to exactly duplicate the Cornish Rock X, but couldn't you come close breeding a Dark Cornish roo to a White Rock or Delaware hen? This would seem possible if, in fact, what we buy from hatcheries is actually a Cornish Rock Cross.

People have done it but from what I have heard from them they grow quicker but not as quick, get bigger but not as big. It's an "almost" cornish cross if that makes sense.

For somebody raising them at home you would need to keep and maintain 2 flocks to be able to breed your cross. What the parents would eat year round would would really drive up your price.

Steve in NC

Quote:
just get a dark cornish rooster and a Delawere hen, thats all you don´t need a whole flock, save the eggs in a cool place, when you have about a 12+ put them in the incubator...record your findings, don´t do it just by eye, keep a record just how fast they grow and how much they eat..that way you´ll know if you actually expended more than what you got...good luck

But you could put a Cornish roo in a flock of White Rock hens, though, right? Would you still get the "almost" then?

For somebody raising them at home you would need to keep and maintain 2 flocks to be able to breed your cross. What the parents would eat year round would would really drive up your price.

I don't see why these birds would consume any more feed than any other dual purpose flock. It wouldn't take long to get 25-50 fertile eggs from a small flock.​

Back
Top Bottom