1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHen to process not meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hcammack, Nov 17, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    When should I proccess my extra cockerals they are a wyndotte and EE.

Henry

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I processed a speckled sussex cockeral at around 14 weeks. I'd say wait until
    they seem big enough or causing problems within the flock.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Personally, I wait until 20 - 22 weeks. Better size and more meat by then.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Since I am hatching in the spring I was thinking I could keep one rooster and hatch some of my Mutt eggs and then process him later. I think Silver laced wyndotte X EE , Silver laced wyndotteX golden laced wyndotte, Silver laced wyndotteX salmon Favorrel, and Silver Laced wyndotteX Cuckoo marans. Would all be realy cool crosses.

Henry

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Would It even be worth it to kill process them? there are only 2.
    Henry

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you have not processed before it would be good for you to try it with a small number and get the hang of it. As for the birds they might not be a huge meal but it's better than wasting them.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ya I will definatly do it then because I am hatching in the spring and I will have to process the extra cockerals.

Henry

8. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, I'm discovering that I prefer processing no more than 5 birds at a time. I have a little skinning station that sets up in under 5 minutes, and because I skin them and don't pluck them, the whole process only takes about 15 minutes. Doing more than 5 at once gets to be a chore; it seems like I can do the 5, and still have time to do other chores, in one evening after work.

9. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm glad I came across this topic. I was wondering when to butcher one of our roos. He is a white plymouth rock, 16 weeks old. He is big, but I want to butcher him right at his peak before he eats anymore feed! Could I do it now, or will he still grow a little bit?

10. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Littlelemon I waited till my white rock roo was about 20 weeks and he weighed in @ about 2.5lbs dressed! all of those white freathers make them look alot bigger than what they really are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by