WHen to process not meat birds

I processed a speckled sussex cockeral at around 14 weeks. I'd say wait until
they seem big enough or causing problems within the flock.

Since I am hatching in the spring I was thinking I could keep one rooster and hatch some of my Mutt eggs and then process him later. I think Silver laced wyndotte X EE , Silver laced wyndotteX golden laced wyndotte, Silver laced wyndotteX salmon Favorrel, and Silver Laced wyndotteX Cuckoo marans. Would all be realy cool crosses.

Henry

If you have not processed before it would be good for you to try it with a small number and get the hang of it. As for the birds they might not be a huge meal but it's better than wasting them.

Ya I will definatly do it then because I am hatching in the spring and I will have to process the extra cockerals.

Henry

Actually, I'm discovering that I prefer processing no more than 5 birds at a time. I have a little skinning station that sets up in under 5 minutes, and because I skin them and don't pluck them, the whole process only takes about 15 minutes. Doing more than 5 at once gets to be a chore; it seems like I can do the 5, and still have time to do other chores, in one evening after work.

I'm glad I came across this topic. I was wondering when to butcher one of our roos. He is a white plymouth rock, 16 weeks old. He is big, but I want to butcher him right at his peak before he eats anymore feed! Could I do it now, or will he still grow a little bit?

Littlelemon I waited till my white rock roo was about 20 weeks and he weighed in @ about 2.5lbs dressed! all of those white freathers make them look alot bigger than what they really are!

Back
Top Bottom