When to pull extra drake?

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
I have 4 pekin ducks that are 12 weeks now. I’m pretty sure 2 are drakes because they are slightly bigger with raspy quiet quacks and the other 2 are very loud quackers.
It’s my understanding that 2 drakes would fight so I am wondering when it would be best to do. Also when trying to decide which to keep I think I want to keep the one with the funny colored bill so I will know which one the drake is but will the offspring have funny colored bills?

I think it depends your plan for the extra drake. If you are going to give him away, sooner is better than later as you will be less attached, your hens will be less attached, and he will have less time to cause problems. If you are planning on housing him separately on your property, I’d start building his spot now and move him if/when there start to be behavior problems. If he is to become dinner, then whenever he is the appropriate size to process.

You would need a very (unusual) calm and polite drake for just two ducks. In my humble opinion four (4) ducks per drake is the absolute minimum and that works only if your drake is not such a crazy dude like my »Erpelchen« who has to be hosed down three times per day to keep his bill from the ladies necks.

You would need a very (unusual) calm and polite drake for just two ducks. In my humble opinion four (4) ducks per drake is the absolute minimum and that works only if your drake is not such a crazy dude like my »Erpelchen« who has to be hosed down three times per day to keep his bill from the ladies necks.

Unfortunately I also feel that one drake with 2 girls may be a problem at some point too. Only time will tell.

Yes but I’d still think about adding at least 2 more ducks to your flock. I love my boys but won’t hesitate to give them time out if they get carried away. So far I haven’t had too but I have 13 females to 3 drakes on not sexually active yet.

Back
Top Bottom