When to put Chickens together?

Hen Pecked Wolves

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
Five or our chickens are 6 weeks older then our youngest chickens. They are 12 weeks and 6 weeks. We hatched our youngest chicks. They were all together in the same room while the chicks were incubating and while they were hatching. They were in the same room during the night for about a week before our older chicks went out to the coop full time. I have had our baby chickens in a crate behind our coop and our older chickens and the babies lay next to each other and don’t seem to be reactive. I am planning to put one of the older chickens in with the babies at a time to see how they do. What is your advice? Thank you in advance!

Keep them together in the coop but use a fencing material to divide the space. So they can see each other for a month or so. When they are nonresponsive towards each other is when you take down the fencing partition.

So there are lots of smarter people with great advice that will chime in. When integrating chicks, I like to let them free range together to start sorting things out. Then I put them in their own separate area fenced in the run. Finally I let them start mingling. Couple tricks is to have a separate feeder and water supply and also give them some places to hide (like the crate or behind the fence).

Back
Top Bottom