When to put chicks out side??

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello! i just ordered 8 chicks and they will be here the 16th-18th of October and by the time they are fully feathered it will be pretty cold (30f) can i let them in there coop and run even if it is that cold? it will be around 30 degrees Fahrenheit from October through February and rarely goes down to the teens. let me know what you think!!

You will need to acclimate them to being outside.
Inside is warm and toasty.

Take them to the coop for short periods of time each day increasing how long they are out there. Watch how they act.
If they huddle and act cold they are not ready for nights in the coop.

Chickassan is correct fully feathered should not require added heat.

They do need acclimated though.

Agreed, they need to get used to the cooler temps, no matter how long they've been fully feathered. You can put them outside once you can provide the proper, dry, draft free temperatures, and you might accomplish this with varying sized/wattages of heat lamps or brooder heaters. Last year I used two, 250-watt lamps and a 400-watt brooder heater to step them down from the 60-degree range or so (don't recall exactly), to the 10 or 20 degree lows we were having at the time. It took forever but I didn't lose any of the 27 chicks. Also indispensible, was the chance to do a "dry run" of the brooder before the chicks came. First, I found that the chosen coop actually was totally inadequate, so I created a brooder corner in the shed that worked. Then built a new coop and tested that. This year I found that my brooder heater decided to retire, the day before the chicks came.

Agreed, they need to get used to the cooler temps, no matter how long they've been fully feathered. You can put them outside once you can provide the proper, dry, draft free temperatures, and you might accomplish this with varying sized/wattages of heat lamps or brooder heaters. Last year I used two, 250-watt lamps and a 400-watt brooder heater to step them down from the 60-degree range or so (don't recall exactly), to the 10 or 20 degree lows we were having at the time. It took forever but I didn't lose any of the 27 chicks. Also indispensible, was the chance to do a "dry run" of the brooder before the chicks came. First, I found that the chosen coop actually was totally inadequate, so I created a brooder corner in the shed that worked. Then built a new coop and tested that. This year I found that my brooder heater decided to retire, the day before the chicks came.
So my winter is super rainy (like every day) so can i still put them out side?? there run is covered so...

I was just watching a video that said keep moving the temp down 5 degrees a week (like usual) until it reaches 55 and don't go down more even when they are fully feathered. but as i told you my temps will be more like 30f. so is that really okay?

Back
Top Bottom