When to put my ducks in the coop

Adamsavannah

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
Hey I have two khaki Campbell’s and they are about 2 weeks old now and I live in Savannah Georgia. I have a coop made for them already to stay in that I can plug in a heat lap. My dad is pushing for me to take the ducks outside already but they have not even developed feathers yet still mostly fur. The days in Savannah are 80-90° and nights are 70ish°. Would it be okay for the ducks to be put outside or should I fight him and keep them inside.

If you can put a secure heat lamp in there for them, they'll be fine, just keep them out of any drafts and make double sure the coop and run is secure.

Hey I have two khaki Campbell’s and they are about 2 weeks old now and I live in Savannah Georgia. I have a coop made for them already to stay in that I can plug in a heat lap. My dad is pushing for me to take the ducks outside already but they have not even developed feathers yet still mostly fur. The days in Savannah are 80-90° and nights are 70ish°. Would it be okay for the ducks to be put outside or should I fight him and keep them inside.
Personally I would not put them outside until they have their first feathers.
However, with a lot of straw/bedding they likely will be ok at 70F. Since they are so small yet, make sure your coop is predator proof - nothing like a ducking supper for the local wildlife.....

I'm also in Savannah area ( Richmond Hill ), I have 2 Pekin ducks 3 weeks old and was wondering the same but mine are starting to feather. Where did you find a coop locally? I've been looking everywhere with no luck

I'm also in Savannah area ( Richmond Hill ), I have 2 Pekin ducks 3 weeks old and was wondering the same but mine are starting to feather. Where did you find a coop locally? I've been looking everywhere with no luck

Welcome to BYC!

Have you tried Craigslist? Do you know someone that's good with handyman work?

Thank you so much Isaac, this page has been so helpful, a plethora of information that has helped a new duck mom like myself. And yes my next step was to ask a few people that I know that are handy to see if they don't mind. Right now I think I'll continue to keep them inside at night especially since my drake is currently having issues walking due to niacin deficiency that I'm currently treating him for and he's slowly starting to walk again all thanks to all the awesome information on this page. Love this page

Thank you so much Isaac, this page has been so helpful, a plethora of information that has helped a new duck mom like myself. And yes my next step was to ask a few people that I know that are handy to see if they don't mind. Right now I think I'll continue to keep them inside at night especially since my drake is currently having issues walking due to niacin deficiency that I'm currently treating him for and he's slowly starting to walk again all thanks to all the awesome information on this page. Love this page

I'm so glad to hear you're finding it helpful. You may find this thread I made helpful during treatment for your drake. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Back
Top Bottom