When to put my eggs on lock down (new baby pic added)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janastasio, Feb 1, 2011.

1. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have a small staggered hatch in my incubator of a call and australian spotted eggs right now. I have 3 eggs that went into the incubator on Sunday January 9 and 2 that went in the following Sunday. The January 9 eggs will go into a separate incubator for lock down. Should I lock em' down today????

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Thursday the 3rd will be day 25..Lockdown then they will hatch around the 28th day

3. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I should follow 26 days of incubation since they are a bantom breed.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I dont know about call ducks, Can I do a Do Over.
    Erm...sorry I cant help you there, I have no idea when calls go into lockdown. [​IMG]
    I really should read the whole post instead of letting my eyes skim over it before I put foot in mouth.

5. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's ok! We know its somewhere between 26 and 28 days so I think I will put them in tomorrow. I just worry about the turner going. I'm also hatching in an old stillair hovabator and want to make sure I don't put them in too early and mess things up! Argh, the decisions! Thanks for your input [​IMG]

6. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Day 25 and I have my first incubator ducky starting the pipping process [​IMG] Fingers crossed for a fuzzy butt in the morning!

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Right there with you.. Mine arent due until Sunday but I have 9 of the ten eggs pipped tonight. A few are showing signs of starting to unzip- so I hope to have some in the morning too. These ones are Runner eggs from a friends ducks- so I am excited to see what colours they may be. I can see one very dark beak poking through occasionally.

Call can be a little faster than other ducks- but I have heard they can have troubles due to having such short beaks.

Fingers are crossed for you.

8. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had 3 eggs in lockdown. This little one started pipping on Thursday night and finished unzipping on Saturday afternoon. Phew, took him long enough! The other 2 eggs died. We have 2 more in the incubator due next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Call ducklings are adorable. Color, please? [​IMG]

10. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Its acutually an australian spotted! I'm hoping its pure aussie, but it could be an aussie call mix:rolleyes:! Either way, CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by