When to put out...

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have 4 goslings that are growing rapidly, and 2 poults.
Last year when it was warmer I put Raymond out at a younger age, but it was clearly a LOT warmer than it is now. The temperatures are finally going up... but I don't know if it is enough yet.

I haven't had much experience, just Raymond, with putting goslings out for their first time, because I purchased most of my geese full grown.
So my 2 toulouse and 2 embdens, about a month in age, are growing rapidly, and soon they will be too big for their brooder. The temperatures go from anywhere from 60 to 90, they've been off and on because everyday we usually get about 2 or 3 thunderstorms... they've also been calming down, maybe 1 a day or if we're lucky none.
How much longer until they can be put out?

Also, I have 2 bourbon red X royal palm poults, they're the first turkeys I've ever hatched, and all the turkeys I've purchased are a couple weeks older than what they are.
The poults are about a month, maybe older. Based on the weather patterns I described above, when do you think it would be alright to put them out?

Thank you!

The geese need less heat than chicks or turkeys. You should be able to wean from the heat now. If your days are in the 80's and the night's in the 60's they will be fine. Geese are far more hearty and will grow and feather quicker if you get them out on the ground. I am up toward Metro DC. How much different is your weather? My geese and ducks have been on the ground for over a month now. They tend to thrive best in cooler wetter weather once they have feathered out.

Turkey poults are far more fragile than even baby chicks. I have kept mine a brooder for 5 weeks. I slowly weaned them from the heat over the last 2 weeks. We had a couple of really cool nights so I gave them a heat lamp. We had a few bad days of a crazy heat wave where they had no light at all followed by 3 nights of temps in the 50's. Yesterday I moved them out to the barn where they are in a coop of their own. They are still inside and not on the ground. Until about 9 weeks of age poults are just too fragile and prone to getting sick if you look at them wrong. It will be at least another month before mine touch the ground.

Good luck with yours. Keep an eye on the turkeys. The geese should be fine from here on out.

I have 10 6 week old gooses and they've been out for a while now. Sometimes I leave the light on in the pen, but I don't think they really need it. This past Wednesday I stopped closing their doggie door and they go in and out all night long just fine. Our temps are 70's and 80's during the day and 40's at night.

Thanks MissPrissy & Duckyboys! You are both very helpful!

I am trying to find a perfect design, not so big, for a housing structure for my young goslings... it has to be something that is on the ground. I want to make them their very own growing pen... that must be done before I put them out.

They need a 3 sided shelter to get out of bad weather. They don't really seek shelter unless the weather is pretty bad. They love to play in rain storms. LOL They do need something to block the sun in the heat of the day. I have mine under a tree canopy. They have a small house but rarely use it.

Back
Top Bottom