When to raise the heat plate?

WendyTestaburger

Songster
Jul 7, 2021
NC
I have 1 week old chicks that seem to be doing well. They spend a lot of time out from under the brooder, going in to heat up. As they're getting bigger I know I need to raise the heat plate up a knotch but when will I know they're ready? I've noticed only one sleeps fully under the brooder now (the smallest one) and the rest sleep half in half out, except the biggest one who sleeps completely out. Also, if I raise it up, what signs should I look for that they aren't getting warm enough? Huddling together? Spending a lot of time under the brooder? I'll attach a picture to show how they're sleeping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-194715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-194715_Gallery.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to BYC! You could try raising just one end, that's what I do with mine.
I agree, I usually will keep one end lower for the smaller chicks, until I'm certain that they're all big enough to raise it completely. Also, if you do end up raising it, a chick will get pretty loud if they're cold (in my experience anyway) they definitely like to let you know something is not right for them. Best of luck! :) I'm getting ready to raise mine for my little ones in the brooder.

I agree, I usually will keep one end lower for the smaller chicks, until I'm certain that they're all big enough to raise it completely. Also, if you do end up raising it, a chick will get pretty loud if they're cold (in my experience anyway) they definitely like to let you know something is not right for them. Best of luck! :) I'm getting ready to raise mine for my little ones in the brooder.
OK cool, yes, they definitely let me know they were unhappy with me when I moved them from incubator to brooder. Thank you, I'll listen for them as well.

Great! How about some pictures?
So I ended up shoving some extra bedding under one side to raise it a bit because this heat plate pops out instead of screwing up to raise it like the others I've seen and I didn't want to commit until I was sure. They seem to be happier so I'll try and pry one side out today and see if I can't make it more permanent

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712-093301_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-093301_Gallery.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom