when to really expect my first egg?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
okay hello all!
smile.png
Just wondering my chickens were born on june 1st I have had them ever since. I see some signs of possible laying an egg. but i am very new to chickens!! so this is what happened today.
one of my chicken was acting so weird, sort of crying and moving about outside while free ranging. she was bent low as if she was about to lay an egg!! or give birth!! lol
i was sitting down and jumped up but another chicken went over to her (maybe had a talk with her i dunno) then she stopped making the funny crying like noise and continued on eating grass etc.
it seems like when they plop down on the ground (or dirt where they are digging) they move their rear end to the side. like its getting very umcomfortable for them. are these signs of possible egg laying soon!
i am excited but i am a mom so i was nervous for her, she looked like she didnt know what was going on? any feedback is much appriciated! thanks again!

What breed is she? They do sometimes act kinda antsy when it gets close to time to lay that first egg.

Mine were hatched May 18 and I'm still waiting! My RIR's aren't ready, but one of my BR and the brown leghorns look like they should be laying. I've been checking around in the woods - who knows. After all this waiting, I'll believe an egg comes out of chicken's butt when I see it!
barnie.gif

I'm with y'all - mine are 6 months old today (hatched in MARCH!!) and still nothing!!! No antsy behavior, no egg songs. Their combs and wattles are real red but otherwise they show zero interest in the nesting boxes, or really anything other than eating and pooping.
he.gif

So they're about 12 weeks? That's way too early. My earliest egg was from a little barred rock hen at 24 weeks. My Easter Eggers seem to start laying not too long after 24 weeks and it seems like those darn Rhode Islands are always last at almost 36 weeks. The Buffs falls somewhere in between for me at least.

Well, if they hatched June 1st, technically they are a little over 16 weeks old. SO, it's quite possible that you have pullets showing the signs of laying. I've heard of BRs who started to lay around 18 weeks so you may be close.

to answer what breed:
there are 3 that are rir and 2 are plymouth rocks.
mmmmm guess i might be waiting!!
pop.gif
but this sounds like egg laying signs right?
hmm.png

Quote:
Yeah, sounds like you'll be waiting a little while longer yet; 20 to 24 weeks maybe. However, I did have a LF brahma surprise me with her first egg @ 19 weeks.

My RIR and my EE laid on the same day. They were almost to the day 5 mos old. 4 days b/f the EE laid she started the rooster squat.

Back
Top Bottom