1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When to remove the heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zchickens, Dec 23, 2008.

1. zchickens

zchickens In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    I have a small group of 9 week old chicks (3 white orpingtons, 3 blue copper/wheaten maran mixes), and I am unsure as to when I can remove their heat lamp. It is very cold here (was -17 F last night, overnight lows have been ranging from -18 to +15 F at night), but they have been in the barn for 3 weeks now, and don't seem to be bothered to much by the cold. I don't want to remove the heat lamp too soon, but by the same tolkien I have a group of 11 cream/gold brabanters that are 6 weeks old now, and need to be moved outside soon (my indoor brooder is getting to be a bit small for them). With two heated waters and one 250 watt heat lamp already going in my barn, I am not sure that I can burden my one outlet in my barn with any more lamps; so I don't believe that adding another heat lamp is an option. Thanks!

Z

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    wll lets see... could you make a brooder? one like this except just use one heat lamp in the middle? http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g97/drewc_andy/brooderbox.jpg
    i
    think it might be to cold for them... are they fully feathered? if so you could gradually take away the lamp slowly. just a thought. hope this helped!
    ~Bri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by