When to retire a laying hen.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by harvestmoonGal, Oct 1, 2013.

1. harvestmoonGal

harvestmoonGal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    I have a few hens that are about to be 4 years old this spring. They haven't been laying as much this year but I think it will pick up this month or November hopefully. They are RIR, white Plymouth(I think that's what it's called), and Ida browns. I love them but I see no reason to let good meat to go waste( I know that sounds terrible but......) so what age do I need to "retire" them?

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    That is not terrible. Give thanks to the bounty.Time to get some new birds and harvest them sooner.

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Most people retire their hens at three years old. Yours may be too old to eat (waste of time to slaughter them), why not make them free range hens?

4. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I already have a new flock. They haven't laid yet but they should start real soon. If my old hens aren't going to lay I don't want to waste my money in feed to get nothing back. I love them and it would be really hard for me to kill them but I don't know what to do with them. This spring I plan on hatching some of my eggs, so I will have to many! Idk. :(

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Sell them as $5 hens to someone who'll just freerange them.

6. harvestmoonGal

May 10, 2013
    I was thinking about growing my own feed for them. There is only 7 of them and I'm sure it won't take much, and I could build them a separate cage. So they won't eat the feed I buy. I just don't think I have the heart to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by