When to return ex-sick chicken to flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueJaye, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Think she had an upper resp. infection. She is done with her Tylan 50 regime, and looking much more like herelf, although still having tar-like poo every once in a while (about 4-6 per day). When can I return her to the flock? Are those tar poos something to worry about? It's about freezing outside, is it an okay time to return her out there?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The tar-like poop doesn't sound like a problem and is nothing to worry about, it's probably cecal poop,which happens every 6-10 droppings. Here's a useful link: http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html. If she seems better you should reintroduce her back into the flock, but be aware that she might not be met with much enthusiasm from the flock. When I first introduced my hen back to the flock after she had been better, they started beating her up under a bush, I quickly got her away from the flock members. I tried again the next day and this time they only gave her a few disciplinary pecks and she was back in the group, though with the lowest status.
    When introducing her to the flock just be wary if she gets attacked too much, a little fighting is normal (there shouldn't be any serious fights, but if there is then separate them immediately). Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by