When to set?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genevieve, Aug 18, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    So I had three batches of eggs shipped to me on Monday. 2 of them arrived yesterday and are ready to go in the incubator today. The other box got lost in the mail (of course) and isn't due in till tomorrow afternoon now.

What to do? Set the two batches today and then the others on Saturday or wait and set them all on Saturday? I have no clue how to pull off a staggered hatch esp with lockdown and an automatic turner.

The best laid plans...

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    How old are the eggs in the first 2 batches? If they are fairly new, I guess I'd wait until Saturday (even though I'm horrible at waiting). You could always use this as an excuse to get another 'bator. [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If there was only two days separating the eggs I wouldn't really count it as a staggered hatch. A day either way for going into lockdown really dowsn't matter all that much. But if you're not confident about doing it you can just wait and set them all at the same time. Again, another day's waiting for the first lot will make hardly any difference...

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I agrre with Gypsy. Go ahead and set the ones you have, and when you get your 3rd package of eggs go ahead and set it, too. Then when lockdown comes just lock them down the same day. One will be locking down 3 days before, and the other one two days before. [​IMG]

Best of luck!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Usually, what I do is wait. I set them in the turner and turn it on. They still get a chance to settle and have slow turning. My rates have been increasing doing this on shipped eggs.
    Michele
    Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by