When to start using treadle feeder

middle TN Nancy

Chirping
Jul 2, 2018
My dominique chicks are 7 weeks old, getting to be pretty good size, and have been in the coop and run since 4 days old. No adult chickens. I have a treadle feeder in the run but I’m still feeding them from a mason jar chick feeder, which at this age they empty completely every day. I’d like to start using the treadle feeder but they aren’t heavy enough yet. Is there any disadvantage to feeding them from it while maintaining the lid in the open training mode until they’re actually big enough? I can always close it at night to prevent rodents getting in to it.

I think as long as they can’t get smushed it’ll be fine. You will have to watch for pests during the day and shut it at night. Rodents like squirrels, birds like sparrows and crows, and animals like raccoons will all eat from it during the day.

Thanks. I would make sure to fasten it securely open during the day. It’s in a predator-proof run (total hardware cloth) so nothing bigger than maybe a very small mouse would be able to get in anyway.

I introduced my little ones to the treadle feeder at 4 weeks old as they were wasting so much food also, wanted to train them early as I am planning to go away, using a brick to keep it open until they are heavier.

Attachments

• 4BD8362E-9581-4A64-BAA0-D41EFA9B596C.jpeg
    4BD8362E-9581-4A64-BAA0-D41EFA9B596C.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 26
I put mine on the treddle at 5 weeks. I put two 2x6 boards on the treadle to hold it open and the training bolts to keep it open as well. I close it at night. As they get bigger I will put it in the middle position and then finally all the way closed.

Back
Top Bottom