When to stop starter food?

DaveK88

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Killingly Ct.
I know someone recently asked this question but I cant find the post so Im sorry for asking but, at what point do i stop the chick starter food and do I start them on laying pellets right after? Our chicks are almost 3 weeks old now and I've read so many different things about when to stop starter food. I've heard 10 weeks 12 weeks and I,m just not sure. Thanks for any advise.

I keep giving mine chick mash until they start to lay. You definitely don't want to give them laying mash until they're fully grown, since it is calcium fortified and this will supposedly interfere with their growth.

Do you have laying breed chicks? You can use a chick starter, medicated or not, for about 5-6 weeks, then after that (depending on when you need to buy another bag of feed) switch to a grower/finisher to point of lay. Usually this is around 5-6 months. The combs will brighten up and the pullets start getting more friendly, and more interested in the laying boxes.
You should not feed laying ration to younger birds, the higher calcium level can damage their kidneys.

Meat birds are fed differently, and it depends on the breed some - cornish crosses or heavy breeds

welcome-byc.gif

I would keep them on chick crumbles until they start laying

Does anyone know what to do if you mix young chickens before they start laying with the adult chickens.... if there eating different foods how do I stop them... thanks!

If your mixing older hens with younger ones that aren't laying i would feed them all starter/grower and put some oyster shell on the side. The young ones will pretty much leave the shell alone. And the hens will still get the calcium they need for eggs. I start feeding all mine layer pellets when they get around 18-20 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom