When to stop turning - confused!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quiltnchik, Jun 17, 2009.

1. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Okay, tomorrow is day 18. So, do I turn them tomorrow and then stop, or is today the last day for turning and then raise the humidity tomorrow? Sorry, I did search, but didn't find this information.

Also, humidity should be between 70-75% or 75-80%?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi, I think since it's day 18 tomorrow that as of tomorrow you stop turning them! Good luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

3. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    Well I stop turning the last 3 days so that would be 19th, 20th & 21st day so I continue to turn on day 18 *unless* I see one pip & then I close up & go on lock down. If you put them in the morning you count that as day 1 if you put them in at night the next day is counted as 1.

4. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Okay, so I go ahead and turn them tomorrow, and then after the last time I turn them for the day, I up the humidity and lock the 'bator down, correct?

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yes, that will work. Tomorrow is day 18 for me too and I usually take them off the turner on day 18 and move them to the hatcher. I don't think it hurts either way.

Yes, you do want to up the humidity and 65-70% is what I'd recommend. As they start to pip, the humidity will go up even higher so I start out a little lower.

Good luck to you!!

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    The last day of turning is the 18th stop turning that night. Turn for 18 last 3 for hatching. I usually add 18 days to the date I set and then write that on one side of the egg in pencil as a reminder, on the other side I write a abbreviation to the egg breed. This is instead of the x and o, the top of the egg is where I mark a F once the egg candles fertile. Once the date is reached the eggs go to the hatcher.

7. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Thanks for the info and good luck on your hatch, too!

I only have 5 mutt eggs in the 'bator and at least 4 of the 5 I'm positive are fertile. The 5th one is a question, but there's no smell so I'm not removing it. I'm excited to see these little ones hatch [​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    WalkingWolf has a very good point too, and I think I'll try that tomorrow. I have people bringing bobwhite eggs for me to hatch, so I'll move the chicken eggs to the hatcher tomorrow night when we put the bw's in. Although I always have really good hatches, very few are 100% so maybe this is why [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch - hope they all are ok! I've got 40 eggs in mine and need a good hatch because they are all sold and then some.

9. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:Okay, so I go ahead and turn them tomorrow, and then after the last time I turn them for the day, I up the humidity and lock the 'bator down, correct?

Looks like your question got answered [​IMG] Good Luck with your hatch!
    I have til July 4th on mine!

10. Nanny Kim

Nanny Kim In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    If I'm hatching ducks and chicks in the same incubator with auto turners when would I stop running? I have a sportsman incubator is there a way to disconnect two shelves and leave the other one still turning my duck eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: