When to swap out deep bedding for winter

Nov 30, 2021
hi folks!
My girls have been using deep bedding since they went into the coop late June. It's starting to get chilly here (eastern Ontario) and our first frost is just weeks away. The snow usually starts by end of October/early November. Could I clean out the coop now and refresh all the bedding or should I wait? And secondly - should I pile all the coop bedding into the run to break down over winter or throw in my compost pile instead? Thank you :D

hi folks!
My girls have been using deep bedding since they went into the coop late June. It's starting to get chilly here (eastern Ontario) and our first frost is just weeks away. The snow usually starts by end of October/early November. Could I clean out the coop now and refresh all the bedding or should I wait? And secondly - should I pile all the coop bedding into the run to break down over winter or throw in my compost pile instead? Thank you :D

Fall is probably a good time to start fresh with new bedding since it will almost certainly pile up all winter and it may not be possible to clean at all when the poop freezes.

I'd personally put it into the run to break down over the winter but that's because I don't manage hot compost piles. If you do manage hot compost piles you'll be able to get it broken down faster and more thoroughly in the piles than in the run.

Fall is probably a good time to start fresh with new bedding since it will almost certainly pile up all winter and it may not be possible to clean at all when the poop freezes.

I'd personally put it into the run to break down over the winter but that's because I don't manage hot compost piles. If you do manage hot compost piles you'll be able to get it broken down faster and more thoroughly in the piles than in the run.
Hi there! I have sand in my run. Can I put the deep bedding from the coop into the run even though the floor is sand? Thanks.

thank you @3KillerBs that's what I was thinking too. I don't want to get caught in the (inevitable) early snow. I'll clean it out today and toss bedding in their run tomorrow so they have something fun to do ;)

Hi there! I have sand in my run. Can I put the deep bedding from the coop into the run even though the floor is sand? Thanks.
I wouldn't. Sand doesn't compost, so you'll just have a bunch of poopy bedding mixed in with sand. I dont know about your sand management, but most people with sand scoop the poop regularly (likely daily) similar to kitty litter. I could be wrong, but I would think that adding the poopy bedding from your coop would just add extra 💩 (PLUS the bedding) to clean out later. 🤷‍♀️

I spent an hour and cleaned out the coop, and laid down a fresh 4" of wood shavings for them, sprinkled some mint leaves (fancy) and finally adjusted the roost bar to be further from the wall because Buttercup seems to have explosive poops all night and that one wall was looking bad LOL thanks everyone! happy cleaning :)

Back
Top Bottom