When to switch feed

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
I have 6 hens approximately 5-7 months old. Currently on starter/grower feed. They are not laying as of yet. Can I or should I change their feed to layer feed or keep them on their current feed? I know you are supposed to wait until they lay eggs but if they start laying while on starter/grower should I then begin to mix the feed or go straight to layer feed? TIA!

The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium: right for laying hens, too much for other chickens.

You could put out a dish of oyster shell, so they can eat it for calcium. Most chickens are quite good at eating the right amount for their own needs.

If they have oyster shell available, it is safe for them to eat starter/grower feed their entire life. I would wait until they lay, then wait until you next need to buy feed, and then get layer feed if you want to switch them.

Most chicken feeds are similar enough that you can switch straight from one to another without causing trouble, but mixing the last of the old with the first of the new might be a good idea, and won't hurt anything.

Many people here, myself included, feed all-flock with oystershell on the side free-choice.

Layer feed is formulated for the needs of commercial-strain layers in a commercial management system. Many BYCers feel that this is inadequate protein for a backyard flock of larger, heritage breeds even if there are no non-layers and prefer 18-20% protein.

I have 6 hens approximately 5-7 months old. Currently on starter/grower feed. They are not laying as of yet. Can I or should I change their feed to layer feed or keep them on their current feed? I know you are supposed to wait until they lay eggs but if they start laying while on starter/grower should I then begin to mix the feed or go straight to layer feed? TIA!
Offer Oyster Shells now and continue with the Starter-Grower feed till one of each breed is laying, then mix in a Layer feed 50/50 till the Starter-Grower feed is gone. GC

Offer Oyster Shells now and continue with the Starter-Grower feed till one of each breed is laying, then mix in a Layer feed 50/50 till the Starter-Grower feed is gone. GC
If using layer feed is a must, this is the best way.
I suggest finding a layer feed that is 18% (at least) protein. Nutrena nature wise feather fixer is the only one I've found.*

*Limited my search to what's available at my local TSC.

I suggest finding a layer feed that is 18% (at least) protein. Nutrena nature wise feather fixer is the only one I've found.*

*Limited my search to what's available at my local TSC.
Nutrina Naturewise Hearty Hen 18% Protein is available at my local TSC.
20210705_083006.jpg

It's Soy free, and has Flax for healthier Omega 3 ALA eggs. GC

Back
Top Bottom