1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to switch feed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by easteregger, Aug 29, 2008.

1. easteregger

easteregger New Egg

Aug 25, 2008
    Hey there everyone. Just was wondering if my chicks that are 20 weeks and not laying can be forced to lay by switching to layer feed

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Nope. You can't force a chicken to lay by switching feed or by any other means. Layer feed just provides the nutrients they need once they start laying eggs.

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My Delightful Dozen are just 18 weeks old and I asked the same question! LOL

We are almost out of grower and DH bought 25# of Scratch, so tomorrow, I will have to go to the feed store and get some more grower - but eggs can't be far off for either one of us, right?

Think I will get some layer - just to be ready!

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Absolutely, buy some layer feed just in case. Mine are 20 or 21 weeks (I lost count somewhere in there) and they haven't begun laying yet, so they are still on starter/grower.

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:At 18 weeks, I would just switch to layer--they are close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by