When to switch to "grower" feed?

Vian

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
My chicks are 5.5 weeks old, they're almost completely feathered and have been spending time outside. They've almost finished off their 40# bag of starter feed. The directions say to use starter feed for the first 8 weeks, then use grower feed for 8-10 weeks, then when they start laying, switch to layer. The guy at the feed store told me the biggest difference between starter and grower is the size of the pieces. Starter is smaller pieces for little chicks. My chicks are getting pretty big, would it be ok to switch to grower when I finish the bag of starter?

It sounds like they are ready, yes. You can even mix the last of your starter in with some grower and see how they react.

You can use layer when they are at POL or start actually laying, but don't be in a great hurry to give extra calcium before they need it. There is actually nothing wrong with grower for an adult feed, escept that the pullets need another source of calcium. However, if you have males, especially if you are going to keep a rooster, you might consider using and all flock formul, or even grower as the adult feed, to avoid feeding the extra calcium to the males.

This is a good article abbout this: especially scroll down near the end for the skinny.

http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=36

He's right about the size of the pieces and that is important. But it is also important what the protein percentage is.
Young chicks need between 18 and 22% protein. Later they can do well from 15-18%. It isn't really set in stone.

At 8 weeks I switch to a grower or a start/grow both are the same as long as its a 18% protein

The starter feed I have contains 20.5% crude protein, the description on the grower feed I'll be switching them to says it has less protein, but doesn't say the exact amount on the website. Their layer feed comes in both 16% and 18% protein. I have a bucket of oyster shells, and can feed them back their own eggshells for calcium when the time comes instead of using a layer feed and just stick with grower. I only have 4 pullets (which so far so good are all still pullets, no combs developing or anything, so fingers crossed they're all really girls)

Back
Top Bottom