When to switch to scratch feed

Brokenandreal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Florida
My babies are currently 4 months and three days old and I was wondering when I can start feeding them adult scratch feed. I was told to buy one more bag of chick feed and buy a bag of scratch when they're done with the chick feed. What do you guys recommend?
wee.gif

There a bit on confusion or misunderstanding of just what is considered "adult" feed. There really isn't such a thing as adult feed. The feed companies make quite a few feeds that everyone, from chick to adolescent to adults can and do eat.

For chicks, there is Starter, with or without medication for cocci. All birds can eat Starter non medicated. It is normally quite high in protein. There is Raiser or All Flock which is also appropriate for all birds. There is Grower which can be low to medium to high in protein and again, can be eaten by all birds depending on the protein level desired.

There is feed called Layer, which is just pretty much just Grower with a high dose of calcium added which is intended for laying hens and the convenience of having the calcium added in.

Finally, there is scratch grains. Different companies and feed mills mix together various grains, in differing proportions. The purpose of scratch grains is provide some whole grains. But it is a supplement. It isn't a complete feed. It lacks added minerals and vitamins necessary for maximum health. Scratch grains typically are also low in protein and often are mainly corn.

I hope that helps clear the air a bit. When can you toss some scratch? Anytime the birds will eat it, which is normally around the age of your birds. Just remember, it is a supplement, not a "feed" as such and is incomplete in nutrition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom