When to take the egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Norm2475, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Norm2475

Norm2475 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I just got my first egg on the 27th of Dec. Out of six chickens one just started laying on the 27th of dec. She just drops them in the corner near the door of the coop. That seems to be her spot. I do have laying boxes but the sides are not very high I may need to build taller walls right now it is just a 2 by 2 block dividing them. But, she just layed one in front of me it was kinda cool I went to check and therewas no egg. then She went to her corner and just bloop she droped one. The other chickens started to pluck it and I took the egg. Is that ok should I leave one in there so she learns to lay on it? Should I put it in the laying boxes; will she go to the egg if moved?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You may want to put a FAKE egg in the laying boxes, if you cant find a fake eggs try a couple golf balls, chickens tend to think that if there is one in there already it must be safe. (little do they know your gonna take thier egg and leave the golf balls.)

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, as Marlinechaser stated, you need to put a fake egg in the nesting boxes. I bought some wooden eggs for mine or golf balls (as stated) serve the same purpose. There is nothing wrong with grabbing up the eggs after they lay them. I always try to get into the coop and collect mine as close to the time that they lay them as possible. That way nothing else gets them and the chickens don't have a chance to possibly break them.

4. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Yes, by all means take the egg. For sure, you don't want to give them a chance to peck the egg, break it, and have a taste. They will most certainly appreciate the fresh egg as much as you do and you'll have an egg eating problem on your hands. Egg eating is almost impossible to stop once it starts. Additionally, one egg eater will teach the others to eat eggs too. So, if egg eating were to get started there is a good chance you will have to cull the offender(s).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by