When to throw them into the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by colonel sander, Apr 28, 2011.

1. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    What is the normal time frame for the chicks to stay in the brooder? I just built a 2'x4' brooder and made it taller just incase. I have yet to start coop construction and would like to know how much time I have. I have not picked up any chicks but found some barred rocks at a local feed store that I would love to pick up. I know wait until they are feathered out but how long does thatt take? Also temps around here have been in the low 40s to lower 30s at times still. The weather has just been wierd this year.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Around 6 weeks normally depending on the breed.

3. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Thanks am going to get a few Barred Rocks and a few Marans. Looking for colder weather birds as temps are not really cold but do not get real warm around here. We do get to 90 plus but only a few times in late Aug or Sep.

4. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    well my golden comets are getting good feathers on them at just a week and 1 day old so i could not tell you when

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicks do not fully feather out til around 10 week old. They would still need a heat lamp if cold weather.

6. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I think it depends on the breed and size and of course time of year

Donna in Branson

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Donna

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Personally, I wouldn't "throw them", they don't bounce very well! [​IMG]

I put the meaties out at 2 weeks, but it was warmish here. They feathered out a little more fully than I have seen others feather out that were kept under a light. My chicks last year went out at about 8 weeks. They had feathered in quite nicely by then, and were too much to keep in the house any longer. We get warm early in Tn though. It's been in the 80's here for over a month now with an occasional "cool spell". Right now, we are in blackberry winter. It's going to be 40 something tonight, and the high was in the upper 60's today.

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    OMG!!!!!!! I am SOOOO ready to get my coop finished!! The weather has been SO bad here in Utah and I have Lupus, which makes me allergic to the cold! LOL! So I have 9 week old chicks that are dying to get outside!! Good thing we have a LARGE brooder!! It WILL be finished tomorrow! Out you go my adorable, stinky babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I've heard anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks depending on breed and weather, which is pretty much verified by this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by