When to turn off the light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hildegarde, Sep 14, 2009.

1. hildegarde

hildegarde New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    Hi everyone

We are new to this forum. We brought home 3 chicks from our daughter's preschool 3 weeks ago - which makes our chicks just under 5 weeks old. To date we've had them in a big plastic tub inside with a 100watt light shining on them to keep them warm, but as they have got quite big we've moved them to larger box for the next week or so until we put them outside.

We turned off the light on the weekend as temps outside were 31oC. Temps are back to 21oC now, but inside our house is about 20-22oC. I am wondering if now is the time to turn off the light and let them get used to not being heated all the time?

Tonight they are happily nestled in their big box - apart - not nestling up to each other to keep warm. Does this sound right? Or should I keep the light on longer for them? My poor hubbie had to get up at 3am last night to feed them as they were cheeping and I wonder if the light is keeping them awake.

Any advice much appreciated!

Lindy

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If you start them off at 95*F, and reduce it by 5* every week of age....
    by 5 weeks old the ideal temp would be around 70*F which I think is close to 22*C

I would go by your chicks reaction to the light being turned off. Leave it off while you can be with them and watch them to make sure they aren't huddling up together after a few hours of no light.

A red lightbulb typically doesn't keep them awake, are you using a red bulb?

3. hildegarde

hildegarde New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    No we aren't - but I can go and get one tomorrow from the pet shop.

Thanks for the good idea.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. The red light is better.

I'd expect them to sleep together whether they are cold or not. If they are cold, you will hear a distress peeping that really gets on your nerves. When you first turn off the light, they may distress peep anyway since they are not used to the dark. You might try turning the light off for 15 minutes at a time to get them used to the dark.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by