When to wean bunnies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our bunnies born on 10/27 will be 6 weeks old this Wednesday. When can they be weaned from the doe and when can I sell/put up for adoption? They are eating like crazy...nice and plump, very friendly and social.

Any suggestions on selling them?

Thanks.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    You can wean them now...could have 2 weeks ago if they were eating well. Bunnies don't take long to get mature enough to wean.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I can't even count the number of times that someone has told me, "I bought my child(ren) a bunny, but it died." While bunnies frequently are eating like horses at 4 weeks, they generally aren't up to the stresses of being rehomed until much later. Most people I know won't sell bunnies that are less than 7-8 weeks old.

4. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    I wean mine at 8 weeks to just be safe, I start giving them food once they start eating but still keep them with mom. Just so that they have a lower risk of getting Enteritis, then I slowly wean them.

5. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I almost always wait until they are 8 weeks old, because they handle the stress better. they are entirely self sufficient and able to handle the stress of being moved to a new location.

I wean them at 6 weeks and wait to sell until they are 8 weeks old. If they start to do poorly I put them back with mom.

Never sell babies at 4 weeks of age. They cannot handle the stress.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for the advise. Jackie has not refused to let them nurse so I had not attempted to wean them and she is eating very well and is quite plump so the nursing is not wearing her down. She actually let them nurse they other day during the day...my DH had not seen how the bunnies lie upside down under her...I called him to come see. He was amazed at how they zoomed right in upside down with most of their body covered by mamma. [​IMG]

I have had feed out at all times plus give hay during the day and offer a carrot now and then. They empty the feeder in 24 hours and I fill their water bottle twice in 24 hours. Does this sound normal for 5 bunnies and a doe?

Does anyone have suggestions on selling them?
    I thought I might try on Craig's List. They would be just the right age at Christmas but really hate to do it...one of our rabbits came from FreeCycle...7 yr old got a rabbit from her uncle for Christmas...before she had it a month her mother was giving it away because she said the little girl did not 'take care' of the rabbit. My feelings were she probably needed to be taught and then reminded. Also she might not have 'wanted' a rabbit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by