When using an incubator, can you.....

Quote:
I will be writing a note to send home to the parents. It will be very basic - we're incubating chicks in class. We're very excited, etc. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me. That kind of thing. I told the teacher (just now at pick up) that I think we should stick more to the truth. I think she's ok with it. She's been great about letting me come into the classroom and do projects with the kids. So I think if I can come in and talk a little about this and the circle of life, that might cover it. Cover the basics, don't dwell and move along quickly!! I think it would be really neat to candle the eggs with the kids during the development stages too. That's the neatest part! We are not in a rural area at all. So I suspect that some parents might have concerns for their kids to be exposed to this???

Quote:
We have not started yet. It is going to be our weekend project; we hope to make it to the classroom by Wednesday or the following Wed. So any advice is good advice on making one!! I have been reading the homemade incubator threads and getting tons of ideas. Also, regardless of an egg turner, I think I will try to bring it home on the weekends. The school turns off all heat/air during the weekends. Who knows what that will do to our temps!! What a great lesson this will be on temperature and humidity, too. FOR ALL OF US!

My daughter is also very sensitive about all things living. Getting into chickens has been good for her and for us. We haven't culled anything yet, but depending on how this hatch goes, well, freezer camp is the intended course of action for this hatch. I am getting the girls each a silkie as their "pet" but I've explained over and over that the rest of the chickens are mom's project and culling is just a part of life. We eat chickens.

And as far as the shuttle exploding - I was also talking about the Challenger in the 80s with the teacher. It was a tragic experience to eyewitness it.

Quote:
Gosh I feel Old. I was in College.

I was talking about the one in the 80's that had the teacher. I forgot there were two. Sorry. I got off the subject.

Yep, that's the one I was talking about too.
wink.png

Quote:
I was talking about the one in the 80's that had the teacher. I forgot there were two. Sorry. I got off the subject.

Yep, that's the one I was talking about too.
wink.png

Yeah, I feel old also.

Quote:
Gosh I feel Old. I was in College.

So was I....

Yes take it home: My reason is that most schools change the thermostat over the weekend and still air incubators are very sensitive to room air temps. In fact, that may be your biggest challenge: keeping temps stable as you change the environment the bator is in.
I would suggest a computer fan addition for air movement and use a wireless digital readout thermometer/hygrometer as one of the thermometers in the bator. We have the sending unit among the eggs and the receiving unit in a place where we look often. In the classroom, it will be more visible to the children and yet the kids won't be right on top of the box to look all the time, and bump, knock, ooops...!
Also, check out the placement in the classroom. No windowsill( avoid sun/heat) Look for a draftfree spot if you can. This can be hard in some schools!

Good pointers! Thanks!!! The teacher is looking for a place to put it. I'll pass along the info.

Chknmomma, I was wondering when you were going to start your eggsperiment. Did you get your incubator made? Do you get a place at school thats stable? Hope all is going well!

Back
Top Bottom