when, when, when?!?!

caroline02

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
My chicks were born on 24th September 08. I still can not tell what is a pullet or what is a cockerel! At what age are they likely to crow or lay? There are some mixes such as light sussex, friz, aracauna, bantom. I cant post photos because camera is broken!
Any ideas???

Hi,

They could actually start laying any time now, but it can take much longer, depending on the individual bird. However, some roos start crowing VERY young. Good luck! Genie

Quote:
I agree. About 26 weeks of age depending on breed and their heritage. Some have been bred to start laying at closer to 18 weeks and others may take as long as 30 weeks.

You are still good. Hang in there. Watch your hens. You may get to see some humorous behaviors from them as they look like they are constipated and don't know what is going on for a day or so. Then they lay an egg and are confused as to just what happened. A couple of days latter they will lay a second egg, somewhat repeating the confused look. Because they are confused and worried they tend to want to hide. So a nest should be a good thing to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom