when will a pekin begin laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kylee2katie, Jul 29, 2010.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Big Momma was born on April 2, 2010 - she is 17 weeks old - will she lay eggs any time soon or will it be spring? she has been "mating" for the past week or so, several times a day! I am just wondering if I need to adjust her food or start providing nesting boxes for her.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    I have a couple of pekins that are a couple of weeks older than yours and no luck yet. WE had some really hot days this summer and now the daylight is decreasing. I set up a light in the pen that is on a time to stimulate a little longer day to try to stimulate fall laying as the weather cools. I thin the bigger the bird the longer this takes.

Good luck and congrats on the breeding.

3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I was hoping more ppl would join in and give you some answers. I cant wait until mine starts laying... I got them when they were 3 days old and they are only 5 weeks old now... By the time they are 4-5 months old it will be Oct-November... Does anyone know if they lay in the winter? Or would I be waiting til spring...?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It really depends on the duck. The best laying ducks are those that will lay practically all winter long, but I have had Runners that were hatched in April and still didn't lay until Spring. On the other hand, there is still plenty of time left before the days get really short, so there's hope! I have a batch of Runners & magpies that are seventeen weeks old next week, and I am checking their nest boxes every day--one can always hope!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by